Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog Post #7

An image of a light bulb
Last Lecture:

The opening to Randy Pausch's lecture was extremely moving and attention grabbing. I truly admire him for his strength and ability to encourage people through his story. It amazes me how someone who has literally been given a death sentence can be so positive and uplifting. I for one know that it is extremely possible for me to be so positive in many situations, much less in this type of situation.

In his lecture, Pausch tells us how to achieve your dreams and how to help others in doing so. He says that it is not so much about how to achieve your dreams, but more so how to live your life. I really like this theory. While I do think that this is much easier said than done, I do believe that it is a great quote to live by.

Pausch believes that teachers have the ability to help others achieve their dreams. I found this even more inspirational because, obviously, I want to be a teacher. Knowing and hearing from someone with such experience that I actually CAN make a differnce in a child's life is huge. I have always said that is the main reason that I want to become a teacher and simply knowing that it can be a reality and not just a dream is very encouraging for me.

The technique that stood out the most to me was "head fake". This is when you make a child think that they are learning one thing, when really they are learning something completely different. Using games to help children learn could be an example of this technique. I really like this technique and I think that it would be very useful in an elementary classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mattie I also thought that this was a very inspiring lecture. He made a lot of interesting points, but I loved the head fake. My field experience for another class is to sit in and help in a kindergarten class, and I have learned that not only do they fall for that, but they also like to participate in class activities. When I read them stories, they listen more when they know that I am going to let them finish part of the sentence, so I think that letting students participate is a great idea for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete