Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog #10

Morgan Bayda:
      "My schooling was interfaring with my education." Wow. This sure makes you think, huh? I am not sure that I can fully relate to Dan Brown or Morgan Bayda, but I do understand what they are saying. We truly are using an educational system that was designed for a different time. The world has change immensely, however education has not seemed to catch on so well.
    
        I do not have the same experiences that Morgan Bayda had, or at least I have not had them yet. She says that she often felt cheated in her university classes because they were either too big or too small for communication to be comfortable. I have been in classes as big as 300 people (literally) and classes as small as eight people. I never seem to have a problem speaking my mind. Perhaps that is just me, but class size has never seemed to effect me like it did Bayda.

      So much can be done over the internet. Dan Brown is right when he says that information is now free. If the education system does not start realizing this fact and changing the way things are done, I do believe that more students will do just what Brown did: drop out. Literally almost anything can be found online, so why would people pay to have someone tell you in a lecture?
    

Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home:


     Wow! This post was humorous, but rather sad at the same time. I am very glad that he stuck up to the woman! I have to wonder why people would think that students taking pencils home results in lower test scores? I would think that it would result in higher test scores! Apparently I was wrong? I have subscribed to Johnson's blog and it is now on my Google homepage. I looked forward to reading his posts in the future!


Two Questions That Can Change Your Life:


      What's my sentence? Was I better today than I was yesterday? These are the two questions from the assigned video. Both of these questions are simple and yet very powerful. I like when the video said that if you try to do too much, your life will become a gumbled paragraph, rather than a sentence. These two questions, if you follow them daily, really can change your life.


     My sentence: She helped two generations of students realize their potential.

3 comments:

  1. Mattie,

    Wow. Schooling these days does sort of get in the way of education. Something I've noticed throughout my schooling is that we skip over certain things that don't quite fit the curriculum. However, it could be those very things that a student may need to know for whatever line of work they choose. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie! I agree about schooling getting in the way somewhat. I don't believe that students should drop out of school especially because we need that degree to get jobs these days. I was pretty agrivated about the way that woman spoke to John Spencer. She is one of the many stepping stones we all have to cross and learn to deal with in Education. I like to refer to her as a "blocker". She seems to be stuck in a "one-way" type of education. I like your sentence. It is good and very important. Great Job!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan B-ayda. :-)

    I like how you specifically said you would help two generations. It's awesome that you are actively building your PLN by following blogs you like! It seems like everyone agrees about school sometimes getting in the way of education. I think that students should start banning together against filler work and demand explanations of how it is supposed to help us or strike!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete