Friday, October 1, 2010

Blog #6:

The Networked Student:

     I wish that I was born 20 years later. That is the simplest way to put my reaction to this video. I cannot get over the technology that we have available to us today! It is astonishing, and a little scary, that students even as young as elementary students are using this technology to such measures. This video demonstrated the student using only SOME of the technology available to him, and yet it is still more than I knew before this class began.

      The question is asked " Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The video gives many reasons, but one that it does not give that I think is a big factor is the fact that if the student did not have someone assigning them work, the likelyhood that the student would be doing it is very low. The sad truth is that many students do not learn about the braod range of technology until they are forced to. Only when students are forced do they finally realize the importance and magnitude of technology.

     I really liked this video because it showed how schools and classrooms really can be. It gives me a guideline of what my students COULD be doing, if I simply push them to learn and use technology.

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment:

After watching this video, along with others from this course, I, once again, really with that I was born 20 years later! It absolutely amazes me the things that take place now, because of technology. Prior to this course, the most technology I had used in or for a course was probably Excel or PowerPoint. This 7th grader is using technology that I, a junior in college, did not even know existed.


The Machine is Changing Us:


The MTV logo

     This video definitely proved his point in the sense that many people have a very short attention span. I had a hard time with this video simply for the fact that it was so long! I do find certain traits in myslef relating to the MTV generation, however I cannot stand MTV. This video will make me look a little deeper at the generation of students I will be teaching so that I can better understand their world and views.









2 comments:

  1. The question then is how do we motivate others to learn? Or can we? What do you think?

    Surprise. Surprise. That what we want: that you learn something new.

    And this week the video is an hour long. I am eager to see how you handled that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a little overwhelmed by the amount of technology available today. Before this class I thought I was technologically literate. After the first two weeks, I realized that I am not as technologically literate as I thought! The 7th graders PLE amazed me! I think that children with this kind of knowledge about technology have a great advantage in life.

    ReplyDelete