Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Project 6: Softball Survey

My survey was a compilation of basic questions in regards to softball. There were 19 participants in this survey. The results are as follows:





1. Do you know what softball is?
 
 
Yes19100%
No00%
2. Have you ever played softball?
 
Yes1474%
No526%
3. Is softball only for girls?
Yes526%
No1474%
4. Does the United States have a softball team?
 
Yes1368%
No632%
5. What is the difference in softball and baseball?
 
Gender1368%
Field size1579%
Baseball is better15%
Size of the ball19100%
People may select more than one checkbox, so percentages may add up to more than 100%.
6. Name one position that you can play in softball.
 
short stopcatcherpitcherpitchershortstoppitcherShortstopoutfieldfirst basepitchercenter fieldpitcher1st baseShort stopnonepitcherBattercatchercatcher, outfield, secon/third base
 
7. On a scale of 1 to 5, what is your interest in softball?
Not at all interested
Very interested
1 -
Not at all interested
737%
2421%
3421%
4211%
5 -
Very interested
211%
8. Who is Jennie Finch?
 
a softball playeron usa softball team she is the pitcherI don't knowno ideateacherfastpitch softball pitcherI have no idea.A pitcher?dont knowDon't knowno clue. I don't know.softball playerDon't kno...
 
9. Softballs are not as hard as baseballs.
 
 
True1053%
False947%
10.The earliest known softball game was played in which of the following years?
 
 
1887421%
19261053%
1893211%
1902316%
Number of daily responses

There were several questions that really surprised me:

3. Is softball only for girls? 26% of the respondees said yes. This really amazed me!
5. What is the difference in softball and baseball? One of the selections was "baseball is better"; it really made me laugh that one person chose this response. I have a feelings that they were just making a joke and not taking the survey seriously, so I choose not to get upset about this!
8. Who is Jennie Finch? This question seemed like a "gimmie" to me! Even if you have never heard of her, considering that it is a survey about softball, it would be a safe bet to say a softball player.
9. Softballs are not as hard as baseballs. I was ver interested to see the responses for this question: 53% said that this statement is true, which obviously it is not.

Overall, my results were pretty typical. Softball is a sport that many people do not know very much about, and it is also a sport of many assumptions. The two students who said that they have a lot of interest in softball got every question correct.

I have played softball since I was 5, so for me these questions are obvious. It was very eye opening to see the results of my survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment